Navigation for Silverlight Business Applications and Caliburn Micro

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:29 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2011 at 2:30 AM

I would like to know what method you are using to navigate between the views in a business application, something like the old  Northwind application (Products , Customers , Orders , etc ). 

I am considering two options:

1) Use (Screen + Conductors)  , something like HelloScreens sample.

2) Use Silverlight Navigation Framework ( Page , frames , etc) , example: http://silverlightnav.codeplex.com/

I ´m beginning to study  HelloScreens that has some features that I would like to use , for instance , asking to save changed data and composition of views like adding new Address at Customer view.

I did not understand very well all the details of  HelloScreens application, I´m beginning to learn Silverlight and Caliburn Micro,  and if this example is adequate  if my application has 30 views or more.

My question is not very specific  but maybe  someone that has built larger application can share the experience of the navigation used.

I would like to know what method are you using to navigate between the views in a business application, something like the old Northwind application (Products , Customers , Orders , etc ).

I am considering two options:

1. Use (Screen + Conductors) , something like HelloScreens sample.

2. Use Silverlight Navigation Framework ( Page , frames , etc) , example: http://silverlightnav.codeplex.com/

I ´m beginning to study HelloScreens that has some features that I would like to use , for instance , asking to save changed data and composition of views like adding new Address at Customer view.

I did not understand very well all the details of HelloScreens application, I´m beginning to learn Silverlight and Caliburn Micro, and if this example is adequate if my application has 30 views or more.

My question is not very specific but maybe someone that has built larger application can share the experience of the navigation used.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I am using a method just like the HelloScreens sample but a little different architecture.

Customer Workspace:

I got a conductor which contains two screens, overview screen and detail screen. Overview screen only runs in a read only mode. The user can choose a customer and switch to the detail screen where he can edit customer data.

Detail screen contains several "sub screens", so actually detail screen is a conductor too.

Customer is just the first workspace i am developing. There will follow many other workpaces.

I can really recommend to study the HelloScreens sample, it's really a great built example.

Hope that helps.