A couple of suggestions that might help beginners

Topics: Getting Started
May 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I least, I think this would help beginners.

1. Cover Mef, but exclude it from the samples where it isn't needed.
    I love Mef, but I feel like the samples use it when it isn't necessary and it adds noise that detracts from the goal of many of the samples.
  2. Number the samples in order of complexity.
    I think it would go a long way to build the complexity gradually and have each sample draw on features shown in previous samples. Opening up a sample and seeing code that I haven't seen before simply because I haven't dug through another sample is painful. 

Trust me, I know how daunting it is maintaining a framework and making useful samples and documentation and I can appreciate how much effort you've already put in to it, so please don't take my suggestions as a negative comment.

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM

What sample did you see something in that surprised you?

May 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Well, I'm actually trying to (quickly) get up to speed on using the library to restructure an application that I wrote before I really understood very much about WPF (and MVVM was a complete unknown). Since I'm tackling this application, I've had to dive right into a lot of features before I'm quite ready, but without knowing I'm not ready.

For example, I think I just realized the purpose of the shell view/viewmodel. 

Really, I think the bigger reason is to identify what features I should focus on understanding first. The first sample I cracked open was the screens sample, thinking it would show me a fairly simple example of managing screens. You have a lot of good samples, but little guidance on where to start and how to get through them. 

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM

You should go through the docs in order :) The HelloScreens sample is the most advanced sample along with the GameLibrary sample.

May 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Also, instead of jumping directly into modifying my existing application (further) I'm writing a new application with the sole purpose of learning the concepts of CM, which has helped a lot ... so really, it's mostly my fault that I haven't picked up on all this faster, but I still think those two things would help others.