Upgrade Silverlight 4 Project to Silverlight 5 and the System.Windows.Controls Dependency

Topics: Bugs
Dec 14, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Hi,

I have installed all of the development tools for Silverlight 5 and retargeted my Silverlight 4 project to Silverlight 5.

I am having problems getting the solution to compile and I am guessing that they are because of conflicting references. I notice that the NuGet package for Caliburn.Micro includes - and adds references to - the following assemblies.

• System.Windows.Controls (File Version: 4.0.50826)
  • System.Windows.Interactivity (File Version: 2.0.20520.0)

After installing Silverlight 5 on my machine, the following assemblies are the ones with the highest file versions.

• System.Windows.Controls (File Version: 5.0.61118)
  • System.Windows.Interactivity (File Version: 2.0.20520.0)

Note that the version of the Interactivity DLL matches however the Controls DLL is higher. I am wondering if this is the cause of my problems.

Does Caliburn.Micro support the newer Controls assembly? Are there plans to do so?

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2011 at 12:05 AM

What type of compilation errors are you getting? Are they in your solution or in the Caliburn.Micro solution?

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Hi Rob,

The compilation errors are in my solution - there are hundreds so I am not sure which is the core and which are just knockon effects.

I made a little progress after making the post above. It looks as though one of my RIA Services DomainServices is not generating code on the client - still not sure why though. The web application that hosts it compiles fine.

Would you recommend that I leave the reference to System.Windows.Controls in my Silverlight application that came with Caliburn.Micro or replace it with 5.0.61118? Note that I am still not sure that this is actually causing my problems - this is just something that looked a bit suspicious.

Many thanks for all your hard work and support.

Cheers,

Scott

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2011 at 2:39 AM

I would definitely try to update the Controls dll. I'll try to get an official SL5 build happening soon. Maybe I can do it next week. No promises. I've got a lot on my plate right now, but I'll do my best.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Hi Rob,

I rolled back to the pre Silverlight 5 version of my project and tried the upgrade again. I left the System.Windows.Controls reference alone (it is referencing the one in version 4.0.50826 in the Caliburn.Micro folder.

I am half expecting to have issues trying to use Silverlight 5 features in future but at least the solution compiles and runs.

I would be interested to hear about any plans you have to include version 5.0.61118.

Cheers,

Scott

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:42 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Well, that answers my question about SL5. What about WinRT? I noticed a folder in the source for WinRT. Will it work with WinRT Metro-style applications?

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

See here: http://caliburnmicro.codeplex.com/discussions/283035

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Hi Rob,

Is there any news on support for Silverlight 5?

Cheers,

Scott

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Support for Silverlight 5 is now available, but you have to use the latest from the repository. I hope to have a Nuget package in not too long. I'm just waiting for a few final issues to be resolved.

May 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM

Hi,

I have upgraded my Project from silverlight 4 to silvlerlight 5. I'm getting only one error "System.Object" not set.

" This is because of 'When i change target version SL4 to SL5 the dll called 'mscorlib.dll' is missing from my silverlight project'. "

--> If i try to add this dll to my silverlight project 'there was no error but I'm not able to find that dll in my silverlight project.

Could you please provide me a good solution for this.

Thank you,

Ashok Kumar Reddy.