Status of CM 1.3 (esp. Mango support)

Topics: Getting Started
Jan 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to WP7 development and MVVM (as in, haven't even used Visual Studio before), but am currently in the process of designing and developing a WP7 (Mango) app for the MS Imagine Cup. A friend suggested we use MVVM and Caliburn.Micro, but from what I've gathered, the current NuGet package (and 1.2 release in general) are not 100% Mango ready. I've since looked into Catel, because they officially state they support Mango, but from the examples I looked at, I got the impression that coding using Catel is noticeably more complicated than CM.

So, my question is, do you recommend I use the latest version of CM? And if so, is there any documentation on changes from 1.2?

Of course, this is all moot if the final release of CM 1.3 is just around the corner - is there any planned release window yet?

thanks for your time,

Nils

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

If you're starting a new WP project, you can specify WP7.0 framework first, add the Nuget package, and then convert it to a WP7.1 project. All the template-generated files are identical for both WP7.0 and WP7.1 anyway. It was just the matter of the Nuget package not recognizing WindowsPhone71 was a client profile and just installing the regular Silverlight template-generated files.

If you have an existing WP7.1 app, you can modify the Powershell script for the Nuget package that copies the files. The script file is: <packagesfolder>\Caliburn.Micro.1.2.0\tools\install.ps1

Open it with NotePad, and add the following line:

if($id -eq ".NETFramework") { $relative = "NET40" }
	elseif($id -eq "Silverlight" -and $frameworkname.Profile -eq "WindowsPhone71") { $relative = "SL40-WP" }	//<-----
	elseif($id -eq "Silverlight" -and $frameworkname.Profile -eq "WindowsPhone") { $relative = "SL40-WP" }
	elseif($id -eq "Silverlight" ) { $relative = "SL40" }

This presumes that you've already downloaded the Calburn Micro Nuget package at least once before (the packages are stored in a local cache). If you have not downloaded the package before, just create a dummy project and add the Caliburn Micro Nuget package to that one. Then modify the script file as noted above before adding the package to your WP7.1 phone app.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Or just grab the source and reference it that way.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Just wanted you to know this fixed a perplexing problem where my app would start up and stick to the loading image.  Updated the powershell script, uninstalled the package from the app, removed old bootstrapper, reinstalled package, removed mainpageviewmodel (made changes to folder structure) and it worked like a charm!

That information really needs to be more readily available.  I was stuck on this for days!  In full disclosure, though, i did not check the site as I thought it was something screwy in my own app.

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM

"If you're starting a new WP project, you can specify WP7.0 framework first, add the Nuget package, and then convert it to a WP7.1 project."

That's the method I was using when I was using the NuGet packages.