Caliburn.Nano?

Topics: Feature Requests
Jan 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM

After reading this discussion which devolved into talk about using T4 templates to pull out all the Xaml classes for navigation I'm left wondering if we need a Caliburn.Nano version.

Another point raised in the discussion is that the current release is being held back due to issues with the WP7.5 code. As a WPF developer I have little interest in WP7.5 and am disappointed that the new version is being kept back because of it.

Whatever happened to a simple (magical) MVVM framework? Perhaps we should break up CM into an MVVM base, and extra features on top? And maybe split the code base into WPF/Silverlight/WP/WinRT variants too? Maintained by different groups?

I love CM, and I'd hate to see it bloat out like it's predecessor, or worse PRISM.

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM

v1.3 will release this week.

In the mean time, you can always build from source.

As far as Caliburn.Nano goes, it already exists. It is three feature packages: Caliburn.Micro.INPC, Caliburn.Micro.EventAggregator and Caliburn.Micro.Container. There are additional feature packages I would like to release, but it's extremely difficult work to build those right now since Microsoft is still churning out new Xaml APIs. In the last year I've had to add support for WP7.1, WP7.5, SL5 and preliminary support for WinRT. Splitting the code base would be a maintenance nightmare as far as I can tell. If I fix a bug in WPF, I would then have to go fix it in three other places. That's really not acceptable, especially with multiple contributors. It's unfortunate, but it's the position that Microsoft has put us in by not having a coherent long term client strategy.

In short, I hear you, but what you suggest is much easier said than done, primarily because of the way that Microsoft has handled their platform. It's also difficult because, while Caliburn.Micro has many "customers" but not many are involved in the development process. So, it's a lot of work split between very few people.

I'm committed to keeping Caliburn.Micro small. Ad far as the WPF version goes, almost nothing has changed from v1.2. There have been a few bug fixes and some new APIs for few location, but that's about it. Most of v1.3 is dedicated to W7 Mango, SL5 and WinRT (nano).