Neither BindableAppBar Background nor BackgroundColor seem to work

Topics: Bugs
Aug 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Hello everyone,

If I'm using the standard Windows Phone ApplicationBar and set the BackgroundColor value to any color, I can see that colour set properly.

However, when I'm using the BindableAppBar neither Background nor BackgroundColor has any effect... how can I set the background (and foreground) colour of the BindableAppBar?
Aug 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM
its a design constraint you have to live with you can't change the background color, part of the specification from MS with respect to Windows Phone "look & feel"
Aug 17, 2013 at 5:19 AM
With all respect, that's not true... the guidelines are just guidelines for a reason, other wise Microsoft would've enforced them as mandatory requirements.

Sometimes you're into a situation where you want a different colours for your UI elements to maintain your app look and feel, brand or anything, that's why Microsoft allows you to change the ApplicationBar background and foreground colours... so, why not Caliburn.Micro?
Aug 18, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Edited Aug 18, 2013 at 4:43 AM
I remember now why I was under the impression of the constraint so I never bothered to follow up on it.. Basically since the ApplicationBar was "non-bindable" (code behind wasn't something I wanted to mess with, but evolved my MVVM thoughts, view related code items are ok) I never investigated further, at any rate, how are you trying to set the background? Having looked at his code "creator of the bindableappbar" he uses a converter and doubles (kinda weird) in his test project, should work correctly with named colors based on his dependency properties.
Aug 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I'm trying to set the colour the "normal" way :) ... I tried BackgroundColor="Brown", BackgroundColor="{StaticResource BrownColour}", Background="{StaticResource BrownBrush}" ... etc. in short, I tried all possible combinations I believe.
Aug 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM
since it has the ability to be bound have you tried a color binding yet?
Aug 19, 2013 at 2:58 AM
If you mean BackgroundColor="{Binding BrownColour}", that didn't work either
Aug 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM
My apology; I was under the impression that BindableAppBar is part of Caliburn.Micro while it isn't... obviously I'm asking my question in the wrong forum :)