Demo App like Contact manager

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I am a newbie and am looking at the samples in both caliburn and caliburn micro. I have also downloaded the mix10 app .

Looks great and does a lot of the hardwork for developing SL4 applications easily and consistently.

Would appreciate if you could possibly provide a sample project for Caliburn Micro (like the Contact Manager in Caliburn) demonstrating all the features you have discussed in the introduction.

Thanks

Balachander

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Hi Rob,

Like the above poster requested, a small sample app would help immensely. Some short sample code simply highlighting best practices for nesting and getting child view models to activate and compose together would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM
+1, in particular more detail about nesting views would be very helpful ! Lars
Jul 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I'd just like to echo that request. I'm actually going to be working on some templates to help in the development process as well and will make them available when I get them going. But a Contact Manager example would really help.

Christopher

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I'm currently pondering running a contest to generate sample applications. The prizes would be good...say something like VS2010 Ultimate with 1yr MSDN Subscription. I'm working out some of the details still, so there's nothing official yet. But, I thought this might help the demo scene.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Make it Resharper 5 :-) My 4.x version doesn't work with VS2010 :(

LOL sounds good and I'll work on some things and hope others will as well. We need to always build up the community.

Christopher

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I would definitely participate in a demo challenge..

After your "Build your own MVVM Framework" talk and downloading the same Game library project you provided, I felt very confident in the framework and was able to fly through my own apps while using your talk and code as reference. Would it be possible to port the Games Library app you used in that presentation to Caliburn.Micro? I think that would be a great demonstration of a lot of the techniques in this framework. I think it would also encourage more community-based sample projects if we had a 1st-party endorsed sample for guidance to make sure we weren't contributing poor practices or ideas. Just a thought.

Matt

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM
I migrated Rob's GameLibrary sample from Caliburn to Caliburn.Micro. You can find it here (GameLibrary branch): http://caliburnmicro.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/Forks/marcoamendola/caliburnmicromarcoamendolafork/changeset/view/3295d32ea60e# It is just an unofficial experiment, but all the features seems to be OK. I borrowed some of the Caliburn's Shell Framework infrastructure (not present in Micro) and the MefBootstrapper explained by Rob here http://devlicio.us/blogs/rob_eisenberg/archive/2010/07/08/caliburn-micro-soup-to-nuts-pt-2-customizing-the-bootstrapper.aspx
Jul 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM
marcoamendola wrote:
I migrated Rob's GameLibrary sample from Caliburn to Caliburn.Micro....  It is just an unofficial experiment, but all the features seems to be OK. I

Hi marcoamendola!

Thanks for your sample, it's very helpful!

Unfortunately, there seem to be some bugs.

First:

When I'm searching for a game (let's search for "halo"), and I pick Halo 1, I get the details of Halo 1. Perfect.

I get back, search again for "halo", pick Halo 3, I get the details of Halo 1. Not that perfect. The GameView shown is always the same.

Second:

There is something wrong with the Rating. The rating is always zero stars. Not all those games are that bad ;-)

It would be great if you can get rid of these.

Roland

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM
It's a beautiful example of the damages of focusing on infrastructure and technical details rather than business value!
Thanks for pointing it out; I'll fix it shortly.
Jul 19, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Fixed.
Jul 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM
marcoamendola wrote:
Fixed.

Thanks, great work!
I especially like your version of the static Show-class. Wouldn't this class be convenient to be in the Micro-Framework? (Like it is in CaliburnV2). 

I noticed, that the url above is not valid anymore, so let me impudently publish the url for your changesets where everyone can find the latest version of GameLibrary:
http://caliburnmicro.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/Forks/marcoamendola/caliburnmicromarcoamendolafork/ 

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:23 PM
The Show static builder isn't "mine": I extracted it from Caliburn' ShellFramework assembly. It contains a library of reusable IResult-s (coroutines), not included in Caliburn.Micro, but fully supported by the infrastructure.
Jul 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Hi marcoamendola!

Thanks so much for the sample. Its a GREAT Help in helping  understand the framework.

Balachander

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Great work on migrating the game library. How difficult will it be to port this to WPF. I am having issues with the MEFBootStrapper, CompositionHosting is not available?

Ryan

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM
@mlcmds: credit goes to Rob, I just copied his sample and changed something here and there. Aside from ShellFramework infrastructure, code is almost equal.

@steimdogmillion: I planned to migrate the sample to WPF and WP7, too; it should be very straightforward.
Does your issue with MEF occur at compile or run time?
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM
CompositionHosting is SL4 only. You can just get rid of that and instantiate the CompositionContainer directly. That should work fine.
Jul 21, 2010 at 9:46 PM

If you want the SL-only MEF goodies (e.g. CompositionHost, CompositionInitializer) in WPF you can pull down Glenn Block's Composition.Initialization.Desktop library here: http://cid-f8b2fd72406fb218.office.live.com/self.aspx/blog/Composition.Initialization.Desktop.zip

Reference it and Rob's MEFBootstrapper from the Customizing The Bootstrapper article will work straight-up in WPF.