WPF Application running from tray, how do I bring up a window in CM?

Topics: Bootstrappers & IoC, Getting Started, UI Architecture
Sep 28, 2011 at 2:13 AM

I'm not even sure if I'm taking even remotely the right approach here so some advice would be appreciated. Basically I have this application which needs to run in the tray 99% of the time, with just a little UI interaction which I'm using Caliburn.Micro for.

Essentially in the bootstrapper I'm overriding OnStartup where I build a System.Windows.Forms.NotifyIcon. The bootstrapper extends Bootstrapper<ShellViewModel>, and ShellViewModel and ShellView are both empty with ShellView visibility set to Hidden. This results in a tray icon but no visible window.

Now I need to respond to a context menu item click on the NotifyIcon by bringing up a different window, which I'll call SettingsView (obviously backed by a SettingsViewModel). How can I go about this from inside the bootstrapper, where I am handling this event? Is there a more sane way of doing this?

Thanks

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I guess that using IWindowManager should work. You can get the instance of the WindowManager directly from the container (where you should also care to register it).

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:27 AM

IWindowManager did the trick, thanks!