Nested screens/conductor and CanClose

Topics: Framework Services, UI Architecture
May 1, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Edited May 1, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I'm having some issues with my CanClose not working as expected.  I have a butchered version of the HelloScreens application with a hierarchy much like this:

IWorkspaceViewModel + WorkspaceManagerViewModel<IScreen>.Collection.OneActive

What is happening is I am trying to close the active WorkspaceViewModel from the shell.  It should in theory be calling CanClose all the way up the tree and make sure that it doesn't close if I have pending saves on a screen.

My Close button does:

Screen1.CanClose(callback)  -> IsDirty ? callback(messageCanClose==Okay) : callback(true)  (true)
               Screen2.CanClose(callback)  -> IsDirty ? callback(messageCanClose==Okay) : callback(true)  (true)
               Screen3.CanClose(callback)  -> IsDirty ? callback(messageCanClose==Okay) : callback(true)  (false)

When one of my screens (screen3) actually triggers the popup message because it is dirty I expected the entire hierarchy to stick around.  What is happening is everything is closing and disappearing, then my popup message fires, and I can say yes/no.  I end up back at the prior activated WorkspaceView in my shell's conductor.

If I say No then everything is still gone but when I re-open the window's state is as it was.  If I say Yes then everything is gone as expected.

My problem is I cannot figure out why the the Workspace View is closing before I get the confirmation from the nested children that it is okay to fire.
I can debug through and see the Conductor CanClose logic fire..

Any ideas?  I thought that just passing the CanClose() on to the WorkspaceManager conductor would do the trick.

May 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

bump, quickly moved back a few pages...