Navigating hierarchical data, FrameAdapter, Frame control

Topics: UI Architecture
Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Edited Oct 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

first - thanks for the great work on the WinRT port.

I want to implement navigating a tree structure like it is done in e.g. the WinRT file picker. I then want to be able to drop this behavior as part of any page.

My current attempt, is to try and register a secondary FrameAdapter/INavigationService in the container and use that for a frame that is different from the app root frame. So far, I could not get it to work.
My motivation behind that, is, that I do not want to reimplement sth. that the INavigationService already provides. 

Basic structure:

- ShellView that represents the general app layout (header, footer, navigation) and is currently an OneActive conductor. 

- Frame control (x:Name="ActiveItem") on the ShellView inside which the hierarchical navigation should occur

- The chosen conductor has no relevance yet, since I'll probably have to nest the FrameControl inside another view later to really set up a MDI interface. I'll will want to have multiple screens that should be able to hierarchically navigate

I could not find a CM WP7 example of such a scenario

Can you help me out here?

My problems so far:

- How do I access the container from a view code-behind without resorting to using the Application.Current. I figured, it is in the code-behind where I would want to setup the secondary FrameAdapter, since it is here that I have access to the FrameControl

- How do I setup the INavigationService so that the initial loading by CM (populating the ActiveItem) is registered with it. There does not seem to be a navigation event for this initial display of the ActiveItem.

Many thanks in advance,

PS: I have cross-posted to StackOverflow (