Caliburn.Micro + MEF + Bootstrapper + AddExportedValues delegate for all ViewModel implementations

Topics: Bootstrappers & IoC, Extensibility
Oct 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Hi,

I've been brainstorming this one. I am using the Caliburn.Micro.HelloScreens as my starting point. In it there are 2 viewmodels (CustomerViewModel) and (OrderViewModel) implemented with corresponding IWorkspace exports for MEF.

What I am trying to do in the Bootstrapper (ScreenBootstrapper.cs) is set the

batch.AddExportedValue<Func<CustomerViewModel>>(() => container.GetExportedValue<CustomerViewModel>());
            batch.AddExportedValue<Func<OrderViewModel>>(() => container.GetExportedValue<OrderViewModel>());

What I am trying to do in the Bootstrapper (ScreenBootstrapper.cs) is set the following instead:

batch.AddExportedValue<Func<IModule>>(() => container.GetExportedValue<IModule>());:

But when I set the CustomerVewModel.cs and OrderViewModel.cs to export as IModule; they don't seem to load when the app runs.

I must admit I am new to MEF and Caliburn.Micro so I must be missing something.

Please note that if I create external assemblies for the 2 implementations <Customer> and <Order> and add the assemblies in my IEnumerable<Assembly> SelectAssemblies(); it works great but my main goal is not use these as external assemblies but integrated in the current project.

I'm just hoping they don't have to be spelled out batch.AddExportedValue<>() for each ViewModel used for business services.

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Is IModule attributed on the modules viewmodels are you trying to use?  Secondly using IModule in that fashion won't actually call them into the ViewModel as expected, you would need to [ImportMany] IEnumerable<IModule> Modules, in the constructor of the ShellViewModel to call the Modules into view.  As long as each ViewModel is decorated with IModule it will pulled into the collection.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Thank you mvermef,

I later realized that the simple [ImportMany] decoration would work and cleaned up batch.AddExportedValue() in Bootstrapper. I was attempting to use the Helloscreens project as Wpf converting from Silverlight. I didn't realize many have attempted this and i used their guides to help solve the problem.  https://hg01.codeplex.com/forks/syggen/decoupledhelloscreens.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM

glad to hear you are headed into the right direction.

Morgan