Why Caliburn Micro and not other

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Hi there:

I'm starting a new project with WPF and I've been researching the web for a Framework like Prism or Caliburn Micro, and now I don't know which way to take from here.

My project is a LOB application suit intended for small and medium business. Our development team is very small.

I'd like you guys to tell me why should I decide for Caliburn Micro?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM
Edited Dec 10, 2013 at 3:33 AM
howdy and welcome

my suggestion would be to play with both, you will find that some of the stuff they do is exactly the same but in very different manners. CM will do some things differently in some regards and generally faster for small team (even large ones) willing to learn.

CM will do LOBs just fine and probably excel doing it. Rapid development is probably one of the reasons I came over to CM from PRISM many moons ago. Part of my decision was due to the support of WPF/ WP out of the box.

Prism took a while and they leave a lot of the wire up to the views/viewmodels up to the dev, can get very repetitive, commands are one of them.

While I learned a fair amount of MVVM stuff with PRISM, it took viewmodel first coding to really appreciate the simplicity of CM to continue forward with it. Don't get me wrong everything you put in a project can be as challenging as you want it, therefore CM can be a challenge initially as you get use to how some things are done.

CM is small in code size but with very powerful features and extensibility and would choose it over PRISM now any day. There is some code currently being refined for Portal Class Library use soon with V2.

If you need specifics don't hesitate to ask there are many knowledgeable folks lurking about.

--edit --
found this site awhile after I posted this

actually a pretty good write up, as I said up top V2 is coming bringing yet another layer of flexibility with PCLs.

Marked as answer by rafaelsoteldo on 12/10/2013 at 5:21 AM
Dec 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Hi Morgan:

Thank you for answering.

I was looking for complete learning resources on the web regarding CM, and the best I found so far was a Mibdscape blog which got to 6 articles (from Getting Started to Introduction to Screens and Conductors), I don't know if its a complete resource.

Could you help me on this?
Dec 11, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Edited Dec 11, 2013 at 3:47 AM
as long as I have been using Caliburn.Micro I still don't know enough :P, There a fair amount of tutorials floating around I think that is a fairly complete one MindScape for the most of the things in CM.

Most of the stuff in the example source as well as asking questions on the forums was the most resources I had :)

my time is tight at present about to go finish remaining training for my main career that will be consuming everything I have from 17th onward... I can answer questions to the best of my knowledge till then, while I study. Followed by operational experience, which could be another week+, then I am at the mercy of (s)Crew Scheduling.

I will have odd hours starting on the 17th (10pm till 5am) usually without comms.. following that is copious amounts of sleep

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Thank you for answering!!!