Using CM with third party controls

Topics: Conventions, Extensibility, Framework Services
Dec 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
What would it take to be able to use CM with third party controls?
In my case, I have a rich collection of WPF controls from DevExpress, which includes GridControl (<dx:GridControl/>)
When using CM with the native DataGrid control, bindings and property change notifications work as expected, but, when putting <dx:GridControl/> in place of <DataGrid> - nothing works at all.
As I understand, CM has a built-in conventions, which map the ViewModel functionality to the appropriate View properties, of which DataGrid is obviously recorgnized.
How can one extend this recognition and functional mapping to the third party controls, please?

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Bladewise has experience with those I believe, as for myself I use Telerik and they work just fine sometimes you might have to create the control convention that corresponds, for a datagrid control you would probably better off to just bind to the collection only. It would be a lot of work to bind the entire functionality that the grid control offers in a convention. That being said I am not entirely sure about DexExpress controls, as for Telerik I do have some conventions in place for some of the controls, but datagrid is not one of them...

They can get really complex really quick but don't want to cause myself more grief with trying to debug something that might not have been necessary.

It is accomplished through the use of the ConventionManager there are some examples, most common one was the DataControl which is usually in the examples that implore SelectedItem
Dec 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Thanks, mvermef!